2011 Thanksgiving PostPosted: November 24, 2011
Last year, The Frugal Girl did her annual list of 50 things she is thankful for and I decided to join her. It’s a great way to see how blessed I am and to not focus on the negatives because that is just way too easy! And, as Ann VosKamp says, “A life contemplating the blessings of Christ becomes a life acting out the love of Christ.” So here is my list, in no particular order.
1. The Trinity- God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. For loving me, forgiving me, strengthening me, encouraging me.
2. For my parents who love and support me no matter what and always want the best for me. That they set a great example of what a loving marriage looks like.
3. For Chance, who makes me laugh.
4. Ryan, who puts up with me and challenges me and loves me no matter what and is willing to fight through our differences to get to the good stuff.
5. The the Georgia Bulldogs turned their season around after starting 0-2 and that we have a coach that values integrity in his team. And that we are now headed to the SEC Championship.
6. My roommates. Sarah who listens, Whitney who laughs, and Annie who loves.
7. My extended family that makes the effort to get together several times a year, even though we are spread out and it would be easy to all go our separate ways.
8. Jillian, Katie, and Ashley. Who loved me and made me feel like a part of their family.
9. For blogs. They encourage me, challenge me, make me laugh, and make me think.
10. Good food, because so many in this world have empty bellies. I just love food. And I’ve never gone hungry.
11. The DVR because otherwise, I’d never watch a single show.
12. Hot yoga, because I’m happy I’ve found a workout I enjoy.
13. Pinterest, because I love sharing good ideas and finding ideas from other people. And I love being crafty.
14. My little corner of the internet. I can’t believe how long I have kept this going and am so glad I have these memories recorded. I love looking back at the past.
15. That all of my grandparents are still alive and for the most part, healthy. I know that they probably won’t be around too terribly much longer, but I’m so grateful for all the time that I’ve had with them.
16. For my camera, that helps me record my life and my memories.
17. For music and that talent that God has given people. Even though I am not talented in that area, I am so appreciative of people that are. Nothing else can stir so many emotions in such a short period of time.
18. That even though my employment has not been steady, God has provided for me over and over again.
19. For Bible teachers that teach and grow my faith- Joe Watson, Don Martin, Andy Stanley, and Beth Moore in particular.
20. That God gave us intuition. Even though I don’t always listen to mine, I’m learning to.
21. That my parents took us to church at an early age and instilled in me the importance of worshiping God and community and being involved in church.
22. For seasons. I appreciate all of the seasons and even though I prefer warm weather, I am very grateful that I like in a part of the country that has different seasons. But I’m very glad it’s on the warmer side. :)
23. That I have a warm house and a comfortable bed to sleep in every night. And for pillows and blankets because they make my sleep so wonderful.
24. For scarves because I hate when my neck is cold and gloves to keep my hands warm.
25. For books. Because I love to read and escape into another world.
26. For my iPhone. Yes, my phone. It helps me out so much during the day, even though I probably waste a lot of time on it, also.
27. That God’s word is real and alive today and that He gave it to us to study and learn more about His nature and His love for us.
28. For Facebook and Twitter. That they allow us to keep in touch (or at least know what’s going on in each other’s lives).
29. For modern conveniences like cars and toilets and computers. Because I would hate to live in a time where I had to use an outhouse and horse and buggy.
30. That I live in a country where I am free to worship the way I choose, vote for who I want to, and that I can say pretty much whatever I want.
31. For my cup of hot tea every morning. Truly, the simple things are the best.
32. For Chick-fil-A. For their excellent food and customer service.
33. For make-up, hair products, and nail polish. Because it makes me feel like a girl.
34. For laughter, because this life would not be half as fun without it.
35. For my sewing machine because I enjoy creating things with it. And it would not be nearly as easy if I had to hand-sew everything.
36. For great movies that entertain us.
37. That I am making an effort to get 8 hours of sleep. I really do feel so much better when I do.
38. For the beautiful outdoors that God created. It is so amazing and inspiring what God has created.
39. For water. I certainly take clean water for granted and so many children around the world die every day from lack of clean water.
40. For Compassion that takes the Gospel and the love of Christ to children and families in the remotest places of the world. And the relationships that are built with the children that are sponsored.
41. For fireplaces. Because there is nothing better when it’s cold that a fire.
42. For my young cousins. They add so much energy and life to any family function.
43. For candles because I love a good smell.
44. That I do not currently have children. I love kids, but I am so not ready for them yet.
45. For health for almost everyone I know.
46. That we had so many years with our sweet puppy, Gretta. She is no longer with us, but we loved her and she loved us.
47. For clothes and fashion. Yes, I love them. But I’m also thankful that I have curbed my shopping addiction and am satisfied with what I have.
48. For the 15 people that read this blog regularly.
49. For all of my wonderful friends that I’ve made at different stages of life. My life is so much richer because of them.
50. For Thanksgiving Day. That we have a day set aside to say thank you.