Thankful List 2013Posted: December 2, 2013
For the past few years, I’ve been borrowing The Frugal Girl’s idea and listing 50 things I’m thankful for on Thanksgiving. Some things are easier to think of than others, so this is always nice to stop and think. And the real truth is, I should do this more often, not just during Thanksgiving. I’m a few days late, but better late than never.
1. Jesus- “Not the gay-hating, war-making tool of the Right, but the outcast, subversive, supreme adept who preferred the freaks and lepers and despised and doomed to the rich and powerful” -John Cusak
2. My family of origin- I love having grown up surrounded by sweet, generous parents and a funny, annoying brother.
3. Ryan- “They” say marriage is hard and “they” are correct. And some days are much more difficult than others. But there is no one else that I want to go through the difficult and easy days with.
4. Our little apartment- I am so thankful that we have a roof over our head and a place to call home. It is the perfect size for the two of us and it is ours.
5. Jobs- that we both have a job that we enjoy going to and that pays the bills and leaves a little extra at the end of the month to play or save or whatever we want to do.
6. The University of Georgia- where I spent the best 4 (and a half) years of my life, met some of my best friends and how I met Ryan. Yes, I would say Athens has been good to me.
7. Clean water- this is something I easily take for granted, but it is such a luxury in other parts of the world.
8. My in-laws- I am so lucky to have lots of in-laws and I’m thankful that I get along with all of them.
9. Our fish, O.B.- Yes, this is kind of a weird one, but it’s nice having something that depends on you. But it’s also nice that we can leave him for a night and he’s still fine. And we don’t have to clean up his bathroom messes. (Well, Ryan cleans his bowl every week.)
10. Food- We have always had plenty of food to eat and have never been truly hungry. This is something that I hope I remember.
11. Our church and Sunday School class- It’s awesome being surrounded by people and our similar life stage that encourage us and share our beliefs.
12. A comfy sofa to take naps- There is not much better than a Sunday afternoon nap. (And the fact that we don’t have kids yet, so those naps are possible.)
13. Plants- I love watching things grow and taking care of them. It’s so fun to see God’s creation at work.
14. TV and DVR- Yes, I admit that I love TV and the DVR is the best. I get such a high from fast-forwarding through commercials.
15. Books- Nothing can make me escape like a great storyteller. I love to read.
16. My pillow and blanket- I hold them every night and love falling asleep with them.
17. My grandparents- I’m so thankful that I had all of my grandparents for 26 years. They are such a great influence on my life and have helped shaped me into who I am. They taught me to be generous and kind and funny.
18. The Bible- God’s living, breathing word that He gave to us.
19. Makeup- Sometimes, it’s fun to be a girl and get all dressed up. But most of the time, it’s annoying, if I’m being honest. But it does make me look a little better.
20. Warm coats and hats- Um, let’s just say it’s freezing outside currently and I love being able to put on a hat and be warm. It also makes me grateful because there are so many people that don’t have any way to get warm.
21. Fun surprises- Last week, I found $20 on the ground. It reminded me of other fun little things that God puts in our paths.
22. Art- “Earth without Art is just Eh.” I love seeing people create beautiful things.
23. Blogs- I read way too many, but they all make me laugh, inspire me, make me think or just make me feel normal. I’m so thankful that people take the time to write down their thoughts.
24. Cars that are reliable and the money to take care of them
25. Technology- my iPhone, computer, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook (sometimes) They all make life more fun (except when they don’t) and keep me connected with friends and family.
26. People that are fighting to bring about change in the world- whether it is through equality or for people in developing countries or to make the planet a nicer place to live- I’m thankful there are people dedicated to bringing about change.
27. Glasses and contacts- My vision is pretty dismal and they both make me able to see. (And no, Ryan, I do not want Lasik.)
28. Fireplaces- There is not much better than curling up next to a roaring fire with a book or movie.
29. Our friends- we have many life-long friends and newer friends, all of whom I love the same. Life would be a lot sadder without friends.
30. Boots and Rainbows- If I could only wear two pairs of shoes the rest of my life- these would be it. I don’t know what I did before Rainbows.
31. Carter and Cooper- Having nephews is pretty fun. I just wish we got to see them more often.
32. Pinterest- Where did I get my ideas and keep recipes before that?
33. A patient and kind boss
34. Health- Most of my friends and family are relatively healthy and that is something that I don’t take for granted.
35. Everyone that helped with our wedding- from throwing showers and parties, to doing the flowers, to ironing tablecloths and stuffing invites, I have no idea how we would have done it without the many, many people that helped.
36. Sunshine- Oh, how it makes me happy!
37. Email- I am not a fan of talking on the phone and email has greatly saved me there.
38. Sleep- Oh, how I love a good night’s sleep.
39. Target- Is it terrible how much I love that place? Cute stuff all the time.
40. Grace- God’s amazing grace that “meets us where we are and does not leave us as it found us.
41. TV shows- Friends, Amazing Race, Nashville, Glee, The Mindy Project. Plus probably a few more that I can’t think of. All entertaining and make me laugh and happy.
42. Georgia Football- This has been a difficult year, but it has shown the heart and drive of this team and the leadership of our coaches. I’m also thankful that no one is talking about firing Mark Richt.
43. Tea- I love my cup of tea in the morning.
44. God’s Word that lives and breathes
45. Washing machine, dryer, dishwasher- Life would be much harder without these conveniences in our life.
46. Photographs- I love having pictures of people we love around our home.
47. Seasons- I love every season that comes around. They all have their own unique purpose (and wardrobe).
48. My hair dryer and straightener- I don’t want to think what my hair would look like without them.
49. Doctors- It is amazing the research that they have developed and have done to save lives.
50. That I live in a country that pauses for one day to say thanks- what a privilege!