I Survived Snowpacalypse 2014

I feel like all of Atlanta needs bumper stickers: I Survived Snopacalypse 2014. It took me ____ hours to go ____ miles. I think I would make a killing.

So this is my adventure of driving 4 miles in 8 hours.

Yesterday morning, I went into work as usual, knowing that I would probably have to leave early because it was going to snow. I opened the store at 11, not really thinking anyone would come in. But lo and behold, a lady did around noon and I got my first glimpse of the snow. After she left, I walked next door to ask the shop owner what she was planning on doing. She told me and I was trying to figure out what to do. (Sidenote- I was the only one at the office that day because everyone else was out of town. So I felt a little weird just up and leaving.)

Around 1, the lady at the shop next door called and told me she had left and that I needed to leave and then shortly after, my boss called me and told me to get out of there. So I gathered some of my things to do at home and left, with visions of book reading and tv watching dancing in my head.

This was my car when I left work.

My office is on a side street, about 25 yards from the main road that I take to work. Typically, it takes me between 10-15 minutes to get to work. Not bad AT ALL. So my first clue should have been when it took me 30 minutes just to go the 25 yards from my office to get on the main road. Ryan finally got in touch with me and I told him I hoped to be home in 2 hours. I was half-joking.

Hours 1, 2, and 3 were spent listening to podcasts. And taking selfies. There’s just not really a whole lot to do when you’re sitting in the car alone. During Hour 3, my phone went down to 20% battery and I thanked God I had a phone charger.

Hour 2, I started to get hungry. At this point, it was 3:30 and I still hadn’t eaten lunch. I had an apple in my purse, but I’m really weird about eating produce without washing it off. Too many pesticides. Yuck. And I had my enchiladas. But nothing to eat them with. Necessity is the mother of invention, however, so I broke a piece of a stryofoam cup off and used it as a scoop. The sad thing about it is these enchiladas are one of my favorite things ever, but now I don’t know if I can ever eat them again.

Ryan ended up charging his phone on his laptop. I also talked to Ryan during Hour 3 and he said he hoped to get home by 7 because that’s when his favorite radio show goes off the air. We laughed because that’s crazy that it would take us 6 hours to get home.

At this point, I couldn’t listen to any more podcasts. I usually love them, but I was burnt out.

Hour 4, Peaser called me and we talked while she drove and arrived home. She needed to use the bathroom, so I was very thankful that I didn’t have to do that.

So much red and so many accidents.

Hour 5, I texted Jillian and Katie to tell them about my plight. At this point, I was starting to go a little nuts.

Hour 6, I played a little bit of QuizUp and realized that I could watch Netflix on my phone. However, it wouldn’t stream correctly, so I couldn’t watch. That was depressing. I also realized once I got home that I had some books in my back seat I could have read. There are perks to never cleaning out your car.

I got out a few times to stand up and stretch my legs. At one point, I realized that I was right next to a package store. I was very tempted.

Ryan finally got home about Hour 7 and we started talking pretty seriously about parking my car and walking home. I was still about a mile from our apartment and traffic was just terrible.

My Netflix started working at this point, which was pretty nice.

However, Ryan found me shortly after and we parked my car while I woofed down some hashbrowns. Nothing has ever tasted so good.

We started walking. It only took us about 20 minutes to walk home. I was so thankful it was an option for me to be able to do that. I know there are still people today that aren’t home.

I’ve never been so happy to be home. Yesterday felt like a crazy-long day.

Several people were mad at the GADOT, Governor and Mayor, but I’m not really sure why. Yes, it sucked, but there wasn’t much they could do about it at that point.

Today, I am enjoying a semi-day off with Ryan home. I have big plans to do the load of laundry I didn’t get to on Monday, pick up some, bake brownies and read. Sounds like a good snow day to me!


4 Comments on “I Survived Snowpacalypse 2014”

  1. Erika B. says:

    Yiiiiikes!!!! I was enjoying your updates (although I hate that you had to go through that in order for me to be entertained, ha) yesterday…but holy cow. I’m impressed you lasted that long in your car!! Have you gone back to pick it up yet?

    • sloandefyinggravity says:

      Well, I figured if I was going to deal with it, I at least needed to laugh! Ryan and I went to Waffle House for breakfast and then got my car. No problems getting it home, thank goodness!

  2. Mom says:

    It was an adventure you will NEVER forget. I still remember the day I was headed back to App State and hit snow between Blowing Rock and Boone. It took 5 hours to go 8 miles. I watched cars that were stopped just slide off the road beside me. My knees were shaking so bad that I could hardly hold the brake down. What a day!

  3. […] way was that a good idea.  At this point, I had heard from friends who had horrible drives home.  Sloan’s instagram was an indication that things weren’t looking good.  But Atlanta rush hour usually […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s