28 YearsPosted: October 16, 2014
Today is Ryan’s birthday- 28 to be exact. It’s hard to believe we’re this “old.” At 28, you’re supposed to have your act together. And while we’re good at looking like we do, most days I feel like we’re just flying by the seat of our pants. Anyway, this is not about me, this is about him. When I think about what had to happen for us to get to each other, it amazes me. His mom had to move from Argentina to the U.S., he had to move from Arizona to Atlanta and meet Sarah, I had to live on the same hall as Jamie and then Jamie and Sarah had to join the same sorority and become friends and then I had to become friends with Sarah. It blows my mind how good God is with stuff like this.
Anyway, in honor of his 28th year, here are some of the things I love and am thankful for about him.
- He makes me laugh constantly. I once told Jamie I didn’t care if my husband weighed 400 lbs if he made me laugh. Sometimes, he’ll say something and I’ll laugh and then he’ll look at me and say, “Why did you laugh? That wasn’t funny.” But for whatever reason, it was to me.
- Ryan is obsessed with music. I know of so many new bands because of him. It’s awesome because when we’re going somewhere, he drives and listens to music and I read.
- He is thoughtful. When the Miss America pageant was on tv, he handed me my phone because he knows I like to follow people on Twitter during stuff like that. And then he watched it with me and got into it too! Ha!
- He’s a good daddy to Jolene. He’s so good about giving her medicine and buying her food, things that I’m not as good at. I’m better at taking her for walks and snuggling.
- A few years ago at the beach, my cousin Lillian gave him a shell necklace that she made. It’s still hanging in his car.
- He is friends with my friends’ husbands. I always prayed that whoever I married would get along with my friends’ husbands, and I have to say God answered this prayer with a resounding YES.
- He gets along with my family. A few weeks ago, we were going to Greensboro for the weekend and for lots of reasons, ended up in two separate cars. He got there hours before I did and I didn’t have to worry about that.
- He cuddles with me. Physical touch is my love language and he is happy to indulge me.
- Quality time is his love language and I like that he wants to spend time with me, even if it’s insignificant like just watching tv.
- He is helpful around the house. And in fact, he is the one that does most of the cleaning, especially the kitchen.
- He also loves to cook, which means that most of the pressure is off of me to do that. I get home later than he does, so he is mostly willing to cook dinner.
- He doesn’t mind when I work late. However, he does mind when I don’t tell him I’m working late.
- He is protective of us, while I’m more easy going.
- Ryan loves sports and the Dawgs as much as I do. I always worried that my husband wouldn’t like football as much as I do, but it’s definitely safe to say that he does and probably more.
- He is disciplined while I am definitely not. While I’m trying, he has it pretty much mastered. Minus biting his fingernails. He’s not perfect, after all. ;)
- He’s a good uncle and brother. He’s fun and wrestles and tickles.
He (mostly) lets me do what I want around the house as far as decorating. Not everything, but I’m working on it.
- He is very punctual, while I tend to run late. But we balance each other out and isn’t that what marriage is about?
- But the #1 thing I love about him is that he loves me too!